Monday 8 February 2010

Busy Birds


Just a quick post, this.

Earlier this morning Bella and I were sitting in the kitchen by the patio doors watching all the activity in the garden. No doubt we were watching for different reasons though!

The birds were having a great time, lots of chasing each other, lots of showing off. There was a gorgeous male blackbird and his mate - a beautiful tawny brown with a huge belly. As usual the starlings were there in their numbers, squabbling with each other, and eating all the bird cakes I'd made for them.

I never know whether the small brown ones are sparrows or dunnocks - we've been told that sparrows are in decline and that they're more likely to be dunnocks. Whichever, they were all being cheeky and daring. The magpies have become more cautious of late. They never used to care who was around, but if they come onto the lawn to eat and a blackbird joins them, off they fly! Then there's the daft pigeons who come and sit on the gutter, watching all the goings on - eventually deciding to come to land. But so difficult for them - they're really not built for it are they?

And of course all the lovely blue tits with their pretty songs, flitting all over the place, sitting on the washing line, and pecking away at everything. But I mustn't forget the robin. There's always one, and there's only ever one on its own. They look sweet but get a bad press; they're reckoned to be bullies, scaring off the other birds. Well, this robin doesn't. He just mingles with them all, going about his business, gets on with everyone - well at least no-one is put off by him.

Then I realised my peppermint tea had gone cold, I really did need to get showered and on with my day......... If I didn't have to earn a living, I could spend all my day just watching this amazing theatre.

No comments:

Post a Comment