Monday 19 April 2010

A difficult topic to think about......


Even though we don't like to think about it, we all know that our animals aren't going to be with us forever. Sad as it is for us, one day we're going to need to say goodbye. But what happens if it's the other way around?

This is something I've thought about from time to time, then put out of my mind. If anything happens to me, what happens to Bella? And I don't just mean my passing on, but I could have an accident, and no-one might know that she's here needing taking care of.

I was watching a re-run of the Dog Whisperer recently, and that really brought it home - all those animals that got left behind in New Orleans with no-one to care for them. Until a humanitarian team went back into the city searching for them - breaking down doors, windows, anything to be sure that the animals were rescued. Amazingly, some of them were re-united with their families who'd since moved miles away. But if something happens to us, they can't tell people where they are, and that they need taking care of.

I was talking to a friend the other day - she had two elderly cats, and one passed away last year. The other is now about 20 and very weak, and is approaching the end of his life. She says she won't be ready for another cat straight away, but then wonders if she'll ever have another cat at all. You get to a certain point in your life where there's a chance your animal might outlive you. She didn't want to think that any new animals in her life might have to fend for themselves.

I remembered about an article I'd read in Your Cat magazine a few months ago. It's a difficult subject, and one we'd all rather not spend too much time dwelling on. But neverthless, it's important to be practical, and with some planning ahead, this situation can be avoided.

The RSPCA, PDSA and Cats Protection all have schemes that all help in one way or another. If you ask them, the PDSA and Cats Protection will send you emergency care cards for you to complete and carry around with you. The RSPCA has a scheme called "Home for Life", which is a free service where they will take an animal in after you've gone, and ensure they are re-homed.

Ideally, it's best to talk to family and friends, and make definite arrangements for them to take your animal in if something happens to you. Perhaps you can do the same for them? And useful too to note any arrangements in your will. The key though is thinking about it and then putting plans in place. That way you've got peace of mind, and don't need to think about it again.

If you'd like to read the article in more detail, go to http://www.yourcat.co.uk/ - it was in the January 2010 edition. And also check out the websites of the RSPCA, PDSA and Cats Protection for more information on their schemes.

1 comment:

  1. Funnily enough I have thought about this recently cause I regimes my pooch after my mom passed away and cause I'm being tested to see if I have some serious health problem. I've gone for the Pdsa scheme cause my experiences with the RSPCA have all been negative.
    It's good to know that saff will be ok if I'm not xx

    ReplyDelete