Tuesday 24 August 2010

Getting to know you


Those of you who have been reading my blog posts regularly know that I have a lovely little girl called Bella who lives with me. In the four years she's shared my life I've got to know her very well. I know her little foibles (and there are many!), what she likes and doesn't, when she's upset or cross, and what all her little words mean.

And all of you who share your lives with animals will know exactly what I'm talking about. If you have more than one animal, they all have very different personalities and characters, and even if they sometimes frustrate you, I'm sure you've had a great time getting to really know them.

When a new animal comes into our lives it takes a little while - sometimes quite a long while - for us to get to know each other. We're learning them while they're learning us.

It's no different when I go to take care of animals when their families are away - except that perhaps I have less time to get to know them well. But it is essential that I work hard on getting to know them, so that I am able to give them the best possible care, and ensure they're happy and well.

For me, pet sitting is so much more than just popping in to replenish food and perhaps sort out the litter tray. I've written about this before, but often it seems to me that the food is the least of the issues they're concerned about. That's not to say they don't need feeding - of course they do, and I'd be extremely remiss if I didn't do this, but they all need nourishment for their souls as well as their bodies. The two are equally important.

So, when I first visit a new animal customer I take time listening, observing, talking, and learning about them. And this continues through all my visits with them as we get more and more familiar with each other. I guess I'm lucky in that I can tune into them intuitively, and know how they're feeling - about being on their own, my coming to visit, and what they like to do. Actually, as I've said before, we all do that very well - but not everyone realises they're doing it. It's very subtle, but easy to learn.

I get to know their personalities, and of course their foibles too. I do what they like. Some want loads of fuss, to be on my lap, purring away, so that's what they get. Others love to play and run around. I carry a selection of toys around with me just to ring the changes with their own toys, and bring a little excitement into their lives. Most like a little of both, but I have to be alert to know when to switch from fussing to playing.

Then there are a small number of rather shy cats I take care of where physical interaction must be on their terms. I've learnt a lot from the cats I visit at Animals in Distress, and I never push myself on a cat - it's essential they come to me. For some of these it takes a long time, but that's fine - just because they don't want any physical contact doesn't mean they aren't happy I'm there. In fact the opposite is usually true - they love my presence, but don't want to be forced. And that's perfectly fine. I'm not there for my own gratification, but to take care of them. Although having a cat loving a good fuss is very gratifying!!!

It doesn't take long before I'm able to tell how a cat is feeling - physically and emotionally. Although I take care of lots of cats I know them all individually, and have learnt what's "normal" for each of them. So, when I text the families to tell them how their animals are doing each day, I'm able to tell them.

Mostly they're fine - and I put this down in large part to the Reiki I bring along with me. If an animal is out of sorts when I arrive, I can feel the change happening in them while we sit quietly together, sending healing to them. Animals live in the present, and the best way to help an anxious or unhappy animal is to join them in the present moment. So I clear my mind of any thoughts and just focus on them - in a positive way - opening my heart and sending love into theirs. I don't fret if they're fretting as this just adds to the distress - my own emotions need to be strong to help theirs. I talk to them and tell them what they need to know or to hear - again, because I've learnt what is important to them, or how they respond to different situations.

So, the time and effort I put into getting to know an animal well means that they're going to have the best possible time while their families aren't around.

No comments:

Post a Comment