Tuesday 21 July 2009

How Bella Changed my Life


As many of you will know by now, Bella is my cat, adopted when she was just 6 months old from Animals in Distress.

At the time she came to live with me I knew that I was going to be made redundant in a few months. I saw this as a great opportunity, and knew that I wanted my life to be very different - I wanted some variety in what I was doing, I desperately needed to lose the routine aspect to my working life, and most importantly I wanted to do things that made me happy. More than that at the time I didn't know, although lots of ideas kept on occurring to me.

She'd not been here long when she had one of those days where she wasn't feeling very well. Nothing I could put my finger on, and at that point no great reason to rush her off to the vet. She was lying on my bed, being very lethargic, and I could almost feel how she was feeling. Without knowing I was going to do it, I sat down on the side of the bed with her, and placed my hands on her. Almost immediately I became aware that something was going on - I knew that my hands were helping to heal her. We sat and lay there like that for about 30 minutes or so, then she opened her eyes, looked at me, and skipped off the bed. She was absolutely fine again.

I looked at my hands in amazement and knew somehow I'd done this. I'd heard the word "Reiki" and knew vaguely that it was about delivering healing energy using the hands. I wondered whether that's what I'd been doing. I was so intrigued that I started Googling, to learn as much as I could. I discovered that in order to deliver Reiki energy I'd have to be attuned and properly trained, but I still knew that I'd healed her. In fact I believed then, and still do, that we all have the ability to heal - it's just a matter of believing it, wanting to do it, and most importantly doing it with love.

It wasn't long before I'd enrolled on a course, and graduated at Level 1, wanting to do lots of practice before going on to Level 2. At this time I had two opportunties, both actually quite sad.......

The first was with Bella's own cat sitter's dog (hope that makes sense). She was about 12, and had suffered with arthritis ever since she'd been involved in a car accident when she was 5. The Reiki I gave with her very obviously provided some relief, and also helped to rebuild her confidence in using her legs - I was told she'd even started jumping up onto the sofa, something she'd not done for a long time. Sadly, this was short lived, and it became clear that she was approaching the end of her life. But still I returned to give her lots of Reiki love to help her to be more comfortable when there was really nothing else left. Her human carer told me that she was so happy I'd been able to come and do this for her.

The other situation involved Bella herself, and I still find it difficult to talk (or write) about this. I shall be in tears, I know...... Bella was involved in a freak accident, when she was being chased by another cat just as a car was reversing up a driveway - her tail got caught momentarily and as she was still running away, tore her abdominal muscles. She spent a week in hospital, having major surgery and recovering. I'll admit there were times we thought we'd lost her, but I was helped by all the love that everyone who knew her sent.

When she came home I spent a week nursing her with Reiki. By then I had been made redundant so didn't have a job to go to - I was lucky, I could spend all my time with her, and I did. At the end of that week, we returned to the hospital for her check up, and the staff there couldn't believe how well she'd recovered, and so quickly.

The experience helped me to understand how Reiki can help, even in such a situation. I'm a person who will always look for the positive aspects to anything - even though sometimes it's very difficult. I realised that this was furthering my learning in how to heal animals, although I couldn't quite get my head around how such a beautiful, innocent little creature should suffer so that this could happen. Still can't......... Anyway, she's right as rain now, runs around and jumps all over the place, and you'd never know. A happy little cat, although at times it's obvious it did dent her confidence a little.

But that's not all....... Working with her pet sitter's dog helped me to get to know her pet sitter well, and she me. She could see how much I loved animals, and how good I was with them. It was also clear that Reiki helps in any circumstance, not just with injury or illness. I was still wondering what to do with my life, when she suggested I should also become a pet sitter. To be honest the thought had occurred to me, but to have her also say this really pushed me on.

So, as they say, the rest is history...... I have built up a lovely clientele of regulars and now and agains, and get the opportunity to bring them comfort and ease while their human carers are away. My approach even to pet sitting is one of healing, and I know now that this is what I should be doing. I love every second I spend with each of my charges, and I've never been happier.......

So, many, many thanks to that lovely little Bella cat for being in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment