Friday 23 May 2014

How do you protect your cats and dogs from parasites?


Ever since I can’t remember when, I’ve always had an innate sense of not liking to take chemical manufactured drugs to help me to heal.  The odd paracetamol, yes, but very little else.  I have a deep inner knowledge that this planet contains all we need to help us to heal in a very safe and natural way, and in ways that maintain the oh so important balance of all life here.  It all comes packaged perfectly, a plant is likely to contain all the constituent parts needed. 

Yet there’s little money in that, and drugs companies are forever on the lookout to create new drugs, manufactured for us, that may mimic what nature is doing, but using only the active ingredient.  This is unbalanced.  And more than that, many are quite dangerous, often not fully tested until actually out in the market place.  I know people on drugs for many reasons, where they need to take a cocktail in order to counteract side effects caused by another, and another, and another……………  And slowly poisoning themselves.

Which is why it’s bizarre really that for so many years that’s exactly what I was doing to my own cats.  These beautiful beings who are my family, who I love so much, and deserved far better from me.   Especially when I actually did know better!!

I guess though it’s because I trusted vets to know what they were talking about.  And why not?  We ought to be able to.  We all do that, I’m sure you do too. 

Yet, I realise now that I did know that what I was doing was wrong, perhaps at a more unconscious level.  Bella hated her spot on every month.  She’d flinch from the smell as soon as the top was opened and run away.  We had to be very quick to shut the kitchen door when it was time, but she always knew what was happening.

The smell was vile.  That ought to have given me a clue.  It smelt toxic.  Bella had to squeeze her eyes shut to stop the fumes making her cry.  And sometimes she’d be sick afterwards. 

There wasn’t any particular defining moment when I thought I had to stop, and yet one day there was just this realisation, that I guess had been building. 

From that moment I decided that neither Bella nor Dylan were going to have to suffer it ever again.  There had to be safer and more natural ways to combat the risk of parasite infestation.  So I started researching.

And, as an animal healer, one who uses natural methods and energy to heal, very successfully, I began to have concerns about all the other cats I knew, and all those I don’t too. 

I’m lucky.  In my field, I have many many knowledgeable and experienced contacts, friends and colleagues.  So I talked to them for ideas, and then did lots of reading to back up what they were telling me about.

I alighted on Diatomaceous Earth a couple of years ago now.  From what I’d been reading, it seemed pretty perfect.  It was easy to use, cats would tolerate it, it caused them no harm whatsoever, and killed all parasites.  It can be used to treat infestations, and as a preventative.  And it’s very natural. 

I’ve used it very successfully for the last 2-3 years, and have suggested its use to others who’ve asked me about safer methods of parasite prevention – they too had huge concerns over using man made toxic chemicals.  And have been using it successfully too.

But my quest and research has continued, as I am on a mission to help animal guardians to care for their furry families in the kindest ways possible – and different methods are preferred by different people and animals. 

If I have a concern about Diatomaceous Earth at all, it’s that it is mined from the ground, it’s being dug out of our planet, and this is something that does bother me.  Clearly the scale is nowhere as large as with oil extraction for example, but for me that’s not the point.  And there’s something else too.  I’m a friend to all beings on this planet.  Just because they’re tiny and causing problems to my cats doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be cared about too.  So any treatment that kills other beings doesn’t sit quite right with me. 

Put in perspective though, I still feel using Diatomaceous Earth is a million times better than using toxic chemicals on my cats.  Chemicals that are designed to go into the bloodstream, so that the parasites then die from ingesting the blood of the host.  Monthly we’re willingly putting toxic chemicals into our beloved animals????

And then, very recently I came across another product, one that’s been successfully used in other parts of the world for the last few years, but is new to the UK.  I was contacted by a friend who’d learnt about it, and was so impressed after all her research, decided to bring it to the UK. 

It’s called Pet Protector and is a little disc that goes on the collar (a quick release safe collar for cats always please!!), and sends out energy waves that repel parasites.  There is a hugely informative website providing plenty of useful information on its raison d’etre, how it was developed, how it works, and many success stories. 

Having read up about it, and talked in detail to my friend, I decided that this was another product that I was very happy to support.  So much so that I’ve become a representative for this product.  Clearly there are earning opportunities for me here (and why not?), but my main motivator to becoming involved is the product itself, and wanting to help animal guardians do the best they can for their loved ones. 

If you’re as concerned as I was about putting toxic chemicals into my animals every month, then I’d encourage you to have a good think about making some changes.  Do your research, you might uncover things I haven’t, and I love it if you’d share anything with me. 

I’m very happy to talk to you about both Diatomaceous Earth and the Pet Protector, and here are some website links to help you:

Some general information on Diatomaceous Earth from Wikipedia:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth

This one is from the shop of the Canine Health Concern (CHC is Catherine O’Driscoll, an expert on both pet vaccinations and parasite control (scroll down the page for information on how to use Diatomaceous Earth):  http://chcstore.weebly.com/diatomaceous-earth.html

And this is my Pet Protector page:  http://www.petprotector.org/?ID=37571

Incidentally, Pet Protector are looking for more representatives to spread the word, so if you’d like to get involved too, you’ll see a form to fill in.  And again, talk to me, I can help you there too. 

I am now feeling much happier that I am doing better for my own animals, and my mission to spread the word, so that others can learn for themselves and make informed decisions.  Please do as much research as you can, I’m not a vet, and not qualified nor empowered to diagnose or prescribe.  But I can talk about what I’ve discovered, and what feels good to me, and I’d encourage you to do the same. 

 

4 comments:

  1. Thank you Toni, do please share on if you like, I'd be very interested in gathering other viewpoints and experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And many thanks to you too Paul. What are your experiences of parasite control in your animals?

    ReplyDelete