Thursday 29 July 2010

Cat Visits - How Frequent?


When I get asked to visit cats, mostly people ask for daily visits. Some people just want the one, others need two, and I've a couple of customers I visit three times a day.

But now and again I get asked something different..................... This week I've had both ends of the scale.

Firstly, I had an email from a lady a couple of weeks ago, enquiring into my services. I did the usual, and replied by email, as always hoping that she'd like to book. I always stress the Reiki element, how that can help, especially for cats who are a little anxious, or if their carers think they'll get lonely. Sometimes people respond back immediately, wanting to book. If I've not heard in a couple of days, they've usually decided to do something else - but I usually email back again to check, just in case.

This lady hadn't responded in all that time, so decided she wasn't going to book. But I received an email from her yesterday, and it was clear she'd been worrying about this a lot. She had decided not to book, but was kind enough to tell me why (so many people just don't bother!!). Despite first deciding she wanted a pet sitter, she then felt that her cat just wouldn't cope well on her own with just a visit or two each day. She wanted company for him all the time, so she's exploring other options at the moment.

Then I received a phone call from a man wanting care for his two cats while away on business. The cats would be on their own for 5 days, but he was asking me to come for only 3 of those. I took a deep breath and very kindly told him that I only take bookings where I visit every day - I said that if he was determined on every other day I'd have to decline. I explained my reasons.

Until last year I'd never been asked this before. And then I had two in the same week! I'd never even considered that someone might ask this, so was a bit caught out. Instinctively I didn't feel right about it, but said yes anyway. Both were cats who lived on their own, and they both absolutely loved my visits. But as the week went on I could tell that they weren't happy that I was only coming every other day. So, I started to visit every day. Result - happier cats, but not good financially for me. I couldn't ask the families to recompense me as they'd not asked me to do it!! Trouble is, because I communicate with animals, because I know how they're thinking and feeling, I couldn't ignore them. They wanted me to come every day.

And all the cats I visit feel the same. They're not living wild, they live with us, and we've conditioned them to depend on us. They are used to seeing us every day, and it's not fair to deprive them of human contact for any more than is necessary. That's why many of my customers ask me to come two or even three times every day.

For many, once is day is fine, as, if they're not being entertained, they'll probably sleep. But to go a whole day with no-one to visit them, to cuddle and stroke them, is miserable. And what happens if the cat is unwell? A daily visit minimum is essential to ensure they're ok, and if a visit to the vet is needed, it can happen sooner rather than later.

No comments:

Post a Comment