Monday 17 August 2009

Cat Sitter or Cattery?

Now, as I work as a cat sitter, I'd probably have to declare an interest here. Clearly I'm going to believe that's the best option, aren't I? Well, not necessarily - there are pros and cons with either.

When I first had Bella, I didn't know that there was such a thing as a Pet Sitter. When I wanted to go away, I had a good look around a number of catteries locally. Some were really miserable, and there was one that was just brilliant. But Bella had come from an animal sanctuary not too long before, and I'm sure if I'd have booked her into a cattery she'd have thought I was giving her back.

No matter how well cared for the cats are, I felt really bad about locking her away for a week. Even at the best one, all the cats were yowling and crying, they seemed to set each other off. There really was no doubt that the staff did all they could for them, but it's just not home, is it? Cats are very territorial animals, and it can be upsetting to be uprooted from all their familiar things and smells.

Now, when I was looking for catteries I had no idea that such a thing as a cat sitter existed. It was just through idle conversation with my hairdresser - who mentioned that when she went away, a cat sitter came to look after Honey. I was quite excited as the thought of going away and leaving Bella in a cattery was becoming depressing. I could see myself having a great time on holiday, all the while knowing that Bella wasn't happy - despite how well cared for she was.

And that's why my customers use pet sitters too. It gives them a lot of comfort to know that Tiger is happy in his own home. Sure, cats do miss their human families when they go away, but a lot can be done to make this much easier - have a look at my previous post called Keeping Your Cat Happy While You're Away (published July 09).

It wouldn't be fair to give the impression that catteries are bad places. Most are very good at what they do. If your cat has been going to a cattery for many years now, he'll be used to it, and can deal with it quite well. He'll know what's happening, what to expect, and that you'll be back in a week or two. Also, there's usually someone on site in case of any problems. They'll have 2-3 visits a day for feeding, and to keep them entertained and provide company, and you can usually take in your own food and their beds and playthings. Of course, your cat sitter can also visit 2-3 times a day if that's what you want, but this does get a little more expensive.

Like anything, it's a personal choice, and it's good that these days there are these options available for our pets. So, the best thing to do is to do what's best for your cat. As I always see happy cats in their homes, my view is possibly a little skewed - I clearly always see that as the best option. However, this is borne out by all my customers telling me that their little angels were so happy on their return, and for those who had previously spent holidays in catteries when they would come back stressed and unhappy, the choice is clear.

Would be good to have your comments and views on this subject. What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. I wanted to write this in testimonial form to say the service you gave as an in house cat sitter was just fantastic!!
    I cannot recommend highly enough, the peace of mind that our furry kids were looked after to such an amazingly high level was priceless!
    I think Ted and Dill were disapointed it was us that came through the door off our holiday and not you!
    Much love Chaz, Andy, Ted and Dill!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so kind, thank you so much. They were an absolute delight to look after. When I left yesterday Dill came out to wave me off!! x

    ReplyDelete