Thursday 8 October 2009

Wendy and Holly


I used to look after Wendy and Holly quite frequently. Sam and Jayne were from Ireland and often popped back to see their families, and used to like the odd holiday too!! Sadly I don't see them any more because they all moved back to Ireland, but I get little updates and photos every so often, which is so lovely.

When I first met them they lived in an apartment, and the cats had a room all to themselves. They had a bed all of their own to sleep on (although mostly preferred to sleep under it), and plenty of space for their litter boxes. However, although the room had a window, it looked out onto a brick wall - not good for cats who love to be able to watch what's going on.

There was a small problem though.... Holly had a problem of using the floor as a toilet. Sam was becoming frustrated and couldn't understand the problem - he was scrupulous about making sure that the litter boxes were always kept fresh and clean. I suggested that Reiki might help. Reiki doesn't cure behavioural problems as such, but if there's an energy blockage causing emotional issues this could be at the root of the problem, so clearing that can be effective. Almost immediately after the treatment there was a marked improvement, but still not completely resolved. She definitely seemed much happier and more relaxed, and was using the litter box a lot more, but from time to time she'd still use the floor.

Since the problem started, Sam had been putting newspaper down in the cats' room to try to protect the floor, and had even tried puppy pads. It occurred to me that this might actually be a part of the problem. We'd resolved the emotional issues but I was starting to think that Holly actually thought that she was supposed to be using the paper. If you think about it from a cat's perspective, why not?

So, I asked Sam if he was prepared to take a risk and take the paper and puppy pads away. I had a quiet word with Holly to explain what we were planning to do and why. And guess what? No more problem!!

Shortly after, the family moved to another apartment. I could tell that the cats were much happier there - there were lots of windows to look out of, and loads to watch. They had a bit more room to roam around, and their own room was much nicer. However, there was still a little issue.....

Whenever Sam and Jayne were away the cats were confined to this one room and the hallway. They'd been litter mates and were mostly very friendly and affectionate with one another. But of course, even the closest cats need space away from each other, and a couple of days into the holiday I noticed how they'd get very cross with each other if they got too close. There was really nowhere for either of them to go to be on their own. They'd snap at each other for almost no apparent reason, and were desperate to be allowed into the lounge. One day I arrived and there was a glass bedside lamp in bits all over the floor - I can guess how that happened! Luckily neither of them were injured in any way; I cleared up the mess and all was fine.

But this really got me thinking that I needed a serious word with Sam. It's difficult, because when you look after peoples' animals you do what they ask - but at the same time, you also have the animals' welfare in mind. So sometimes I need to find a way to give some feedback and make practical suggestions.

Happily, Sam completely understood what I was saying and appreciated the fact that I raised the issue. Turns out that the cats had been his for a long time (they were about 12 when I was looking after them), and had come with him when he and Jayne got together. Jayne wasn't really a cat person, and although she tolerated them, she wasn't always so open to their needs. They were renting the apartment furnished, and she was concerned that they might scratch the brand new furniture - as they loved to scratch, and this was a big issue. So, I could see it from her perspective too.

Anyway, Sam had an idea! He bought some blankets and brought them round to me, and asked if I'd cover the furniture on my first visit, and uncover and take them away with me on my final visit, the next time they went away. That way they'd have to stay in the room and hallway when Sam and Jayne left, but once I turned up, they could have the run of the apartment. Sam didn't want Jayne to know - he said she wouldn't have agreed - and although I'd have preferred it if he could have told her, I had to go along with it.

This was really successful. Very happy cats, loved to snuggle onto the blankets and sleep on the sofas - one each - and no more fighting. Did make a bit more work for me though on my last visit, as I also had to clear up any telltale fur lying around. But they could spread themselves around and be as free as they needed to be.

Not long after that though, I received a card from Sam telling me they were returning to Ireland, but at least they've gone back to a house where Wendy and Holly can run around outside again. The blankets were taken to Animals in Distress and put to very good use!




No comments:

Post a Comment