Tuesday 29 December 2009

Polly's Acrobatics

Polly is a lovely girl, not so young these days, but still loves to go out wandering. Most of the times I've gone to look after her she'll race out the front door in the morning, and no amount of coaxing in for food will work. But she's happy to sit outside all day, waiting for my evening visit when she scoots indoors again, very hungry.

I was looking after her for a few days over the recent Christmas period. Her mum told me that as it's been so cold and snowy of late, she'd taken to staying indoors, so not to worry if she didn't want to go out. That's fine by me, as she lives near a main road, and I have to say I do get a little concerned when she's out all day. I'm always very relieved to see her again in the evening. But then she's lived there for a number of years and is probably very street wise, and likely doesn't venture too near the road anyway. Still, I can't help but be so pleased to see her again in the evening..........

The first Christmas visit, she was asleep on the sofa, and snuggled up to me for a cuddle. She then came downstairs for a look at her food, but no inclination to go anywhere near the front door. Then straight back up again to settle in her warm spot.

The next day though, she wanted to go and sniff the air. Didn't stay out long though, and I wasn't surprised. Until she was itching to go out again!! So, I opened the door again, and out she trotted. This time she was her normal self - nothing (not even food) could coax her in. It was very cold, but I know that cats don't feel the cold the way that we do. Still, I wasn't happy for her to be out until I was able to get back again later in the day - that was too long.

I shut the door to keep the warm in, and went upstairs to fill her water glass (and how many cats do I know who like to drink out of a glass? - loads!). Next thing there was a noise at the front door, so I came down to see what it was. The top half of this front door is glazed with 9 frosted panels - and there was a cat clinging on to the beading in between. Completely spread-eagled against the window, just like a cartoon cat!!! It was hilarious!

Now, this is a lady in late middle age, but just goes to show how agile cats can be well into their dotage. Quite how she actually launches herself at the window I have no idea. And how long she'd have been able to stay there if I hadn't let her in is also a mystery!

I've heard of cats that find ways to let their families know they want to come in again, but never come across this before. Her mum told me that she does it when she's desperate to come in - and it always frightens the life out of her!!

1 comment: