Saturday 11 February 2012

Bruce's Story



Dylan came to live with us in October 2010, and it wasn’t
long after that a stray started visiting. His timing was all wrong – if he’d come a little sooner, I would probably have taken him in. I’d always felt that Bella would struggle with another cat, but she took to Henry (a stray, adopted by a neighbour), and has no problem when Jussi from across the road visits. So, when I met Dylan I knew immediately he’d be right. Although we do still have some challenges – a story for another time…….

So, this black and white cat turns up, and I felt sure he was a stray. He seemed to be around all the time, always hungry, out in all weathers. And he’d not been neutered. It’s usually a sign of a stray or abandoned cat, but I have been coming across some cats who live with people and aren’t neutered. Another post for another time…….

He was very shy. He’d eat the food I’d put out, but would almost be running away from me when I put the bowl down, then returning after I’d gone inside again. This went on for some time, and it really was clear that he didn’t have a home of his own. At one point he must have had a fight with another cat as one day he turned up with a nasty injury under his right eye. I really wanted to get him to the vet to have his eye seen to, to have him neutered, and get his shots. But it was taking a long time to build up any trust and he was still running away, only eating his food once I’d gone inside.

I continued to keep a close eye on him, and as the summer arrived and the weather got a little better, I worried less about him being out in the freezing cold. In time he began to warm to me. I’d put his bowl closer to the back door and stay there while he came back to eat, not moving, not
giving him any cause for concern. I’ve learnt from the many feral and other scared cats I’ve taken care of that it’s got to be on their terms, and very slowly too.
Once he’d got used to me being there, and feeling quite safe with it, I decided I’d see if he’d let me stroke him. Many cats will allow you to do that while they’re eating. It’s mostly to do with association – ie eating is nice, and so I feel nice when you stroke me while I’m eating. Something like that. Things moved quite quickly from then on. He found he loved being stroked, and while he was still a little skittish – a sudden move or noise and he’d be off – he began coming up to me for strokes, rubbing his head in my hand, and even jumping up to my hand. He’d wrap himself around my legs, trailing his tail there too. He began talking too – lovely little chirrups.

He was turning into a gorgeous character, a gentle and friendly cat with lots of love to give. By then it was hard not to give him a name. Don’t know where it came from but he became Bruce. He had a good appetite, and some days would eat maybe 5 pouches and some dry food. But of course, living rough, he’d need more food, and I wanted to make sure he kept his strength up and was as fit and well as he could possibly be. I felt that by now he’d be able to go to the vet. I’d been able to pick him up and he had no problem with it. So made an appointment for one day – and of course it was the day he didn’t show!
Being a stray meant that although he lived in my garden much of the time, he did wander around the neighbourhood, and there were some days I didn’t see him – not many but now and again. And this was one of them. Had another couple of goes on other days, but the same thing happened. He knew, of course!!

As Autumn approached I became concerned and didn’t want him to be spending another Winter outside. I had a little shelter in the garden (borrowed from the sanctuary for when I had visiting hedgehogs), which he’d taken to using. It was filled frequently with fresh straw to be as warm as possible, and it was tucked in by the fence in the most sheltered position I could find. It was by no means perfect, but I knew that he knew he had somewhere safe and dry to go, and he did spend a lot of time in there.

The boys next door were talking about perhaps adopting a cat, so I tried to persuade them to take him in. Trouble was, they’re renting the house, so needed to get permission from the owner – and also wanted to wait until after Christmas. It became clear though that this wasn’t going to happen. From time to time I’d contacted local rescues to see if they had space and could take him in, but they always seemed to be full. If he’d not had my garden to live in, and somewhere safe and dry and a ready supply of good quality food I’d have worried more, but he was coping. From time to time I would bring him into the house for a warm, and he’d go and play with Bella and Dylan’s toys. He would also love sitting on the chair by the radiator in the kitchen. But we couldn’t keep him in for long as Bella and Dylan would get visibly and audibly anxious. He was so good with them though, just kept himself to himself, didn’t ever go for them – and they left him alone too.
Now and again I’d toy with the idea that he could live in the house with us, but I knew it was just too small for 3 cats, and Bella and Dylan told me that they wouldn’t be happy. It wouldn’t have been fair to any of them. He seemed to be thriving, doing so well, really coming out of himself, and his fur was really quite shiny!! Of course, in all this time, he’d been receiving Reiki from me, and I know that will have been helping him in so many ways.

One day in January, I was in Facebook – someone had posted that it was such a cold day there were happy their cats were snug in the warm. I echoed those sentiments, but noted that it wasn’t so nice for those cats who didn’t have a warm home and were stuck out in the cold. And I mentioned Bruce. The next thing, a lady responded, wanting to know more about him. The page I’d been on was that of a local cat rescue, and she was one of their fans, and had adopted from them recently – so I knew that she would be absolutely fine. We got to talking and as they say, the rest is history!

I had leafleted in my neighbourhood a couple of times before, but thought I should do so again, just to make absolutely certain that no-one thought he lived with them. Would have been surprised, and rather shocked frankly, if someone had claimed him – they were hardly taking care of him!!

After posters on lampposts and a post on our forum, still no-one had come forward, so we fixed Tuesday as the day I’d take him to his new home. It wasn’t without a little drama, as of course that was another day he chose not to come round. I went to look for him, and did find him, but he ran off a couple of times, so left it thinking that we’d perhaps have to try another day. Got on with my day, did some work, went shopping, and then about 1.30 popped into the kitchen to see him in the garden eating food I’d left out. I opened the door and he hopped inside – a little anxiously I have to say; I’m sure he picked up on my energy. After a few strokes and cuddles to settle us both, I picked him up, put him in the carrier, and we were on our way to his new home in Wales.

It’s so beautiful, lots of fields and hills to wander around in when he goes out again, with geese and chickens outside too! When we got him into his room and let him out of the carrier he was straight up onto the windowsill, and his face was a picture. He was still very friendly with me, and with Claire, his new mum too when she offered him her hand. She is so lovely and I know they will both love each other very much.

I’ve heard how he’s doing a couple of times since Tuesday, and he seems to be settling in very well. He’s had his eye seen to, and is being neutered next week. Was good as gold at the vet. And he’s taken to sleeping on the radiator!! I miss him being around, but that’s completely overridden by my pleasure at the thought that he’s no longer living rough, in the cold, in my garden. He has a warm, cosy, loving new home with a radiator!! And lots of land with geese and chickens!! I’m thrilled to bits for him.

Oh, and he’s not Bruce any more – he’s Billy now……….

No comments:

Post a Comment