Monday 27 February 2012

I'm getting a friend to do it.......


Lots of us have friends, neighbours and family members close by who can take care of our animals when we go away. Some of them even like animals!! That's great if they are reliable and can give them lots of love and affection, and don't mind dealing with the litter.

But so many times, when a new client contacts me, I'm told it's because they've used friends and family in the past and been let down. I've heard all sorts of awful stories - like how the friend just forgot and the poor cats were on their own for 4 days with no food or water!! Unsurprisingly, people feel much happier entering into a proper agreement with someone who they've paid to take care of their animals - and don't mind paying for a professional service, knowing they can go away and have complete peace of mind.

I recently came across this problem myself, and it really hit home how much I appreciate my own cat sitter. I was going away for a short weekend, and asked her if she was available. It was one of those rare times that she wasn't, so thought I'd ask the boys next door. They'd only moved in recently, but were very friendly and loved cats. I thought it would be ok, and they were delighted to have been asked.

The plan was that I would be off mid morning, do my own cat visits, then be on my way. They were due to come in on the Saturday evening, then the Sunday morning. I set off for home again on the Sunday morning with the plan to visit cats on the way, but decided I'd stop off at home for a few minutes first. As I opened my door, next door's opened too, and out stepped a very sleepy Scott holding my keys. He'd had a lie in and had just woken up, completely forgetting to come and feed my guys!!

When I got into the kitchen I could see they'd not been fed the evening before - the food I'd left out hadn't been opened!! I had left very clear instructions, so no idea quite what happened there. Just as well I got home when I did.

But I reminded myself that they had agreed to do this as a favour to me. There was no contract to provide any services, no payment was being made, so difficult for me to be too cross. And that's the problem. So, I don't think I'll be asking them again!! I'd rather pay someone - and what I pay brings me so much value in terms of peace and mind, and knowing that they'll get lots of love and cuddles, and my instructions will be followed. I know that's what my own clients value so much too - they tell me all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment