Sunday 29 April 2012

Outdoor Cats

A few weeks ago I wrote about the indoor/outdoor cat debate.  I'd be really happy to have your views and opinions on the subject - the more that we talk about these issues, the better things can be for our cats.

But today I want to take this one stage further, and talk about outdoor cats.  Mine go outdoors - Dylan chooses to stay in the garden, and Bella wanders a little but not very far.  They'd be unhappy if they couldn't go out, but they choose to spend a lot of time in the house.  Especially on a wet and windy day like today. 

There are many cats I know locally, and those I care for, who have similar arrangements, and this is perfect for them.  They're able to wander about their territory, and also be indoors for shelter, food, sleep and most of all company.  I know that these are wild animals, but they've long ago domesticated us and decided they want to live with us.  They are used to our company, love and strokes, and it's part of what keeps them happy, and most of all, healthy.  The happiest cats have a good balance of both.   When we bring a cat in to live with us, it's important that we understand this.

I live on a small private estate, very quiet and safe, and great for cats.  Recently, there are more and more cats living here.  In the last couple of years though, I've noticed a couple of cats who are out all the time, in all weathers, for long days.  One has since moved away, but for a long time I thought he was a stray.  He was very friendly, and given half a chance would sneak into my house and eat my cats' food.  More than food though, he just wanted love and company, and a snug place to sleep when the weather was bad.

I leafletted my neighbours, and after a couple of goes, someone came forward to say he was their cat.  I knew where he lived, and would continue to keep an eye out for him to be sure he was safe.  They insisted he wanted to be out from between 4-6 in the morning, but they didn't seem to be bothered about him after that.  Which is why he'd be at my back door when I got up, begging for food - they'd obviously not got him in again for his breakfast before heading out to work.  I'd notice they might be gone for a whole weekend, and he just seemed to be out the whole time.  They told me that they had a friend a few doors away, and he'd go to their house - but my experience was that that wasn't happening, as he was always at mine!! 

He's moved away now, but overlapping that has been a similar situation, with a cat who still visits, and in fact is now sitting on a window sill upstairs!  When I adopted Dylan very soon afterwards he found a friend who looked just like him and was about the same age.  They've become good friends, and I've discovered he lives just 3 doors away.  This morning, when I got up about 6.30, he was sheltering in the cat chalet in my garden.  He often is, this is quite normal.  Today the weather was vile, so if he'd wanted to go out, I'm sure he'd have wanted to go back in again quickly.  In fact, he did, because as soon as he saw me, he was at my back door.  I went off to visit cats, and when I got back he was still in my garden - so I've let him in. 

On a nice day, if I'm about in the house during daytime (often am), the back door might be open so that Bella and Dylan can come in and out.  And often our visitor sneaks in, and I might find him fast asleep on one of the beds a couple of hours later.  He is a hungry boy, but more than anything, he just craves company and human affection. 

For both these cats, this isn't what they want.  The balance is out.  They want to be out and about wandering, but not the whole time.  I don't get it.  Why do people bring animals into their lives and homes, and then forget about them?  Talking to other neighbours here, it seems there are other cats living the same way, and they just wander in and out of peoples' houses.  Most people understand that there's not much you can do to stop a cat who wants to come into someone's house, this is how cats are.  The issue is with the people, and one of responsible cat custodianship.  It's all about making sure you can provide the right environment for the animal, and also that they don't annoy the neighbours.  Once again a balance. 

I'd love to have other views on this subject - please let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment