Monday 4 October 2010

Me and the Pigeons


Ever since I can remember I've had a very close relationship with nature. I've always been able to feel the connection of all things on this planet, and one of my favourite things to do, still, is to sit quietly in nature and let my energy and the energies of all the animals, birds, trees, bushes, and plants merge together. Even the unseen energies like the weather and the feel of a day, and then at night the moon and stars. Absolutely magical!

Even after all these years I'm still trying to come to terms with spiders (like many humans), but I find I can love most of the species we share this amazing world with. After all, we were all made from the same stuff and really, we are all the same.

There are some species that get a bad press. Particularly rats and pigeons. In fact many people consider pigeons to be rats with feathers!! It's easy to get drawn into the collective conscious, and start to believe what other people believe - if you're not alert and careful not to do this. To be honest, until a few years ago, I'd never given much thought to pigeons, one way or the other.

Then I found I was looking at them with new, fresh eyes, thanks to my friend Mark. He's always loved them - when he was a young boy his grandfather used to keep racing pigeons. So now I'm much more aware of them, and they make me laugh, can keep me amused for hours!!

Bella and I can spend ages watching them in the garden. We feed the birds, and of course, that includes the pigeons. They've become quite savvy these days. In the morning, there they are, all gathered on the roof. When I come down to the kitchen, they fly down to sit on the fence at the bottom of the garden, waiting for me to come out with something to eat. If Bella and I take too long sitting there, a couple of the more confident ones will jump down and walk up the garden towards us. Asking for their food!! They've become almost tame.

The other birds don't seem bothered by them, although there are one or two bullies that chase off any other birds, fellow pigeons included. But on the whole, they all bustle around in the garden quite happily together.

All it takes is for one bird to get brave, then the others follow - almost like the sheep of the bird world. Their landing and take off skills aren't wonderful, and it's hilarious watching attempted landings, only to see them lose it and fly back up to the roof. And they're great at spooking each other. If one takes fright at something (usually nothing at all!), they all lift off together in one noisy cloud.

I love to have them around, and so does Bella. (and I love rats too!)

1 comment:

  1. its really fantastic blog . its realy informational and a such a good job. i love this http://pigeonbasics.us

    ReplyDelete