Wednesday 18 November 2009

Cats and Babies

This is a touchy subject - one that I find tends to divide opinion. Would be good to have all your views......

In recent months I've been contacted by people 3 times to see if I can find a new home for their cats because they (the humans) have a baby on the way. In each situation, the decision has been so difficult, and the people wracked with guilt and worry that it is the right choice. None of these decisions has been arrived at lightly, and each time it's been because it's what they feel is right for the cat. They have wanted the cats to have the best possible life, and hard as it is, they've believed that this is the best course of action.

They contact me because they know that I love cats and know loads more people who do too. Trouble is most of the cat lovers I know already have cats. But then cat lovers know other cat lovers, so you never know......... And I ask everyone I can think of. But one time I had a response that really surprised me. This person was really very outraged - and felt it to be dreadful that they were prepared to re-home their cats just because they (the humans) were having a baby.

This made me think for a bit, but knowing all 3 people and their situations, I have to say that these decisions were made with the best end in mind. There's no way I'd feel it was right to judge their intentions. It was love (as well sometimes as housing situation, hormones, other cats, etc) that was driving the difficult decisions.

Then I thought about all those people I know who have babies and cats, and that it's worked for them. There have been issues along the way, but these have pretty much been resolved to everyone's needs.

So, a difficult one then. I guess the right decision is the right decision for each person, and each decision will be different.




And right now, we're looking for a home for little Peeps, who I've looked after a number of times. She's around 8 years old and a little darling. She's fairly quiet, but when she gets to know you, is so affectionate. This is her picture - isn't she adorable? If you know anyone who you feel she would be perfect with, do let me know, and I'll be happy to let you have more details. Just one thing - she's always been the only cat in the household, and it would probably be best for that situation to continue.

Finally, do please let me have your opinions on this thorny issue!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jean its Vicki, Well with a household of 2 cats, 2 dogs, 3 snakes and 6mth old baby i have to say in my opinion the balance is perfect, the cats especially are like little guardian angels over our little girl and love to put on a show for her, chasing there tails and rolling around to make her smile, its lovely to watch and our little girl loves them all and giggles and strokes them already, yes you do have to be extra vigilant as all animals can be unpredictable at times, as can we! but being a devoted animal lover myself its important for my daughter to also grow up and see the beauty in animals and the life lessons they teach us.
    Working in veterinary practice i helped many of the animals guardians to find new homes for them for many reasons some many injust in my opinion but those who wished to re home with an honest and open heart found wonderful new loving homes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Vicki for your comments. I agree that having animals around is great for young children, and the sooner they get used to them the better.
    These three situations weren't straightforward. One person decided that one of her cats was going to be far too much of a handful, but the other would be fine. Also, it was a small flat and this boy cat was really hankering to be running around outside. So it was a timing issue as much as anything. He's now happily living in a house with a huge amount of land, and running around with 9 other cats and loving it!!
    Another is in a small flat which they were hoping to have sold and moved to a house by the time the baby came, but looking increasingly unlikely. There's nowhere to put the baby safely to sleep overnight that the cat won't be able to get to, so they were worried about that. And the other had already had a baby and kept her cats that time, but found that although she used to love them, her baby hormones had made her lose interest in them. She then had another on the way, and because she had once loved the cats so much felt it was better they went to a home that would give them all the love they needed.
    And yet one of my clients has just had a baby in a tiny house where it's also difficult to separate cat and baby overnight, but she's not in the least concerned.
    Nothing's ever as straightforward as it first seems is it?
    I'll ask Lesley at the surgery to ask around.

    ReplyDelete