Monday 29 March 2010

Honi Goes Home


The trouble with this job is that I get very attached to the animals I take care of - and their families too. That makes it so difficult when people move on - and move on they do.

In a big city like Manchester, there are lots of people who've come from elsewhere and don't have roots or family here. In some ways that's good because that brings me business. If they don't have a ready made network of family, friends or neighbours, they'll more likely look for a pet sitter. But the downside is that they tend to move on again. And when I've become close to people and their animals that's sad.

I've just said goodbye to Honi and her family. Sarah lived in Manchester for 12 years, but on Saturday returned to Edinburgh, her home city, with partner Thom and baby Archie. Last Friday I went to see them for the last time, and I'm sure Honi knew I was coming to say goodbye. She was very vocal, and I had a tear in my eye as I said farewell. I used to visit Honi quite frequently, and Sarah also became a good friend.

I drove past their apartment today for the first time since they went, and it seemed strange that I'm not going to be visiting Honi any more - or just popping in for a cuddle with Archie. But people move on, and have new lives. We'll stay in contact, and next time I'm in Edinburgh will pop in for more cuddles (although it's years since I was last there, and don't actually know when I'll be there next). Thanks to Facebook I'll continue to see pictures of Honi and little Archie.

So, very best wishes to the whole family as they begin their new lives - all my love is with you. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment