Sunday 7 March 2010

Long time no blog....


Well, for me anyway! It's about 3 weeks since I last wrote, and that's the longest gap ever since I started this blog.

There's a reason for that, and it's the old, old one - I've been too busy. That's a shame, because I love writing my blog, and writing about all the animals I take care of, but really, my brain has been too tired!

And it's not just because of the animals I look after. Actually it's a bit of a quiet time of year for pet sitting - always is when the Christmas/New Year season is out of the way, and before April/May when people go away again. There are always a few to keep me going, but at times like this, not enough to pay the bills.

Also, I don't (as a general rule) do dog walking. Others who work in pet sitting and do dog walking are always very busy every day. I decided 3 years ago when I set up Whiskers Pet Care that I wouldn't walk dogs. Much as I love dogs, and to walk a dog from time to time is great fun, I felt that to do this every day, in all weathers would soon start to be less than enjoyable. And I started up Whiskers Pet Care because I wanted to do something I loved. So, there didn't seem to be much point.

Then, there's market rates. It would be great to be able to charge what I think this valuable care and service is worth, but I know that the market wouldn't stand it and I wouldn't have any business. So I've got to be realistic. I'd have to be pet sitting 10 hours a day, 7 days a week for it to be financially viable for me, and that's not going to happen!!

I realised that there would be times that I wouldn't be so busy with animals, and also that I'd need to have other work that would pay me more than pet care, to balance out my earnings. Whiskers Pet Care is what I do because I love it; my other money earning activities are what I do to keep a roof over my head, pay the bills, and feed me and Bella. But I've learnt that there's no point doing anything if you don't enjoy it, so my other activities are enjoyable too, and use skills and experience I've built up over many, many years.

They're great because I can sit at home in my slippers and work, and flex my time around going to visit all my lovely animals - and they are my priority. But recently those other activities got very, very busy - which is good because it pays me more money, but also tough because it made me rather tired. This work involves talking to people - either interviewing or coaching - and is rather intense, so by the end of the day my brain has been rather frazzled.

So, apologies to you all if you've missed my blogs. I promise to try to keep up - there's so much more I want to write about. And of course, let me know if there's a subject you'd like me to include, and don't forget to add your own comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment