Monday 19 October 2009

Bach Flower Remedies and Animals


Most of us have heard of Rescue Remedy - a very effective (it is for me!) and easy to use tincture for when we've experienced some sort of shock or upset. But did you know that the Bach Foundation who make it also have a very wide range of flower remedies to help with any sort of emotion? In fact there are 38 of them, and Rescue Remedy is a combination of 5 of these.

Lots of the animals I care for are experiencing a high level of stressful change in their lives. Those being cared for at Animals in Distress are often disoriented and confused - why are they there?, what's happening?, etc. When I visit cats while their families are away, suddenly all the familiar smells, noise, bustle, routine has stopped - and this can be difficult to cope with. I was keen to learn about other healing media that could help support and strengthen the Reiki I bring to them.

I've used Bach Flower Remedies for myself for many years, and it was logical that they would work equally well for animals. I discovered a great book explaining their use for animals, which has been endorsed by the Bach Foundation, and written by a couple of experts in the use of Bach Flower Remedies - together with a lot of help from animal behaviourists.

Included in the book is a large section on case studies, which helps so much to understand the uses they can be put to in order to help animals. If you're interested in learning more, here's a link to the book on Amazon: Bach Rescue Remedy for Animals.

Also, the Bach Foundation's own website has a wealth of information, as well as a list of all the Remedies and the emotional conditions they can help with - here's the link: The Bach Centre.

One final thing to mention though....... I am not a qualified practitioner in Bach Flower Remedies, and additionally the law on anyone other than vets treating animals is quite strict (and actually rather confused in this instance). The Walnut Remedy is indicated for helping with emotional conditions associated with change and unwanted influences, and can therefore help animals when left on their own, or in other change situations (for example, a new baby arriving, moving house, etc). But, I can't actually give or suggest this for animals that aren't my own (as I'm not a vet).

What I can do though, is, if you've read the book or the information on the website, and you freely purchase your own Remedy for your animal - you can ask me to administer it to your animal while you're away. Just as you would medication that a vet had prescribed.

No comments:

Post a Comment