Monday 26 October 2009

The Joys of Hibernation


In the last couple of weeks I've noticed that Bella is sleeping a lot more, and less inclined to go outside. She's enjoying being cosy indoors, and it's clear that she's getting into hibernation phase.

This Blog is dedicated to animals, and although I mostly write about cats, others do get a look in too. We're also animals, and in this post I wanted to talk about how similar we are to all the other animals that inhabit this planet - even if we think we're not!

One of the ways that I think that this really manifests itself is how we also feel at this time of the year. As the days get shorter and the light gets less, we also have a very deep and primeval urge to hibernate. The problem is that mostly we resist. As we have developed and evolved as a species we have gained very busy lives and expect to be as full of energy and productive as we want to be all the time.

The reality is that this isn't possible. Many of us claim to suffer from SAD (seasonal affective disorder), but I have another view on this. I used to think I was also afflicted - I'd find it difficult to get enough energy to do what I wanted, and the darkness would make me feel depressed. Once it was cold and dark, not to mention wet and windy there's no way I'd go out again in the evening once I was home. I didn't really want to do anything. This was so different to the person I was during the spring and summer, when I had so much energy and enthusiasm.

When I thought about it I realised that all I wanted to do was to hibernate, just like other animals do. And that changed things for me. I accepted it, stopped fighting it, and started to learn to enjoy it. I still prefer spring and summer, as that feels much more like me, but I could appreciate time to slow down, gather strength, be quiet and nest.

It doesn't mean doing nothing at all, but it does mean doing less. Unfortunately we still have to go out to work, get the shopping in, do the housework, and so on. But there is so much that we really don't have to do, and during the autumn and winter months, that's exactly the time to let ourselves off the hook. Don't feel guilty about all the things you're not doing - what's the worst that can happen? But if we don't take the opportunity to slow down, sleep more, rest, reflect and nest, that's when we start to get ill. We really can't keep going at 100% all the time. So be kind to yourself, look at what your animals are doing, and follow their example.

2 comments: