Saturday 9 January 2010

Feed the birds



I was reading an article on the BBC News website this morning, about a report from the RSPB that these harsh conditions will badly affect our bird and wildlife population.

I can spend ages sitting by the patio doors watching the birds in my garden. I always make sure there's a ready supply of a variety of food, both in trees and shrubs, and on the ground. And of course, Bella loves watching with me too - although for different reasons!

And this winter, I've been even more careful to ensure that there's plenty of food out there for them. It seems to have attracted even more birds than ever, and somehow they're all getting along with each other. There are birds I've not seen before in my garden, and not sure what they all are. There are always blackbirds, starlings, blue tits, thrushes, magpies, pigeons, robins, wrens, dunnocks and the very odd seagull - but now some others that I need to try to identify.

I'm pleased to say that some of them are looking very fat - that will help protect them against the very coldest weather, and doesn't appear to affect their flying skills at all! I can tell how busy my garden is by looking at the snow - it's all messed up by the birds rooting about for food; whereas if I look at my neighbours either side, their snow is still very pristine.

Bella seems to have acclimatised to the snow, and has worked out how to get around in it - she was very confused at first. It's taken some of the orienting smells away, but has given her something in return. There are now even more birds around for her to get excited about, and the glaring whiteness of the snow somehow makes them stand out even more. She's constantly mithering me to go out, and has become quite adept at sneaking up on them - but as far as I can see they get away fine, leaving one very frustrated kitty! And it doesn't stop them heading back for food as soon as the coast is clear again.

So, if you've got a garden, help your local birds to survive the winter. Put fatballs, coco shells and hanging bags of seeds and nuts in trees and shrubs. Clear snow of bushes bearing berries, so that they can still get to them. And think before putting scraps in the bin. With such a wide variety of birds around, most will get eaten, and if not will just decompose organically (once they've stopped being frozen!).

No comments:

Post a Comment