Sunday 24 January 2010

Sidney and Edward's Good News

Sidney and Edward came into Animals in Distress in the middle of 2009. They were brothers and about 8 years old. Sidney was fully black and Edward ginger and white. Although different colours their fur had the same quality, and their faces were the same - you could tell they were brothers.

My hairdresser had told me about another of her clients who was having to rehome her very loved cats, and was struggling to find anyone to take them, so she turned to me. Now, I know lots of people who love cats, but mostly they've already got cats. But I tried anyway, after all, you never know.

Despite my efforts, I wasn't successful, so persuaded her to bring them into Animals in Distress. She had been a little concerned, knowing they weren't young cats, and that they might be there a while. In her own words "I really couldn't bear to think of them ending their days there." I reassured her that even the very difficult cats do find homes eventually, so although it might take a little while, they would be found loving new homes one day.

Well, it was difficult. Most people do want younger cats, and trying to find a home for two together was also challenging. Lots of people offered to take Edward - he was slightly more friendly and forthcoming, and ginger cats are always very popular. Black cats on the other hand do take a little longer. It's thought that it's because it's more difficult to see their faces - and that does make some sense.

Time went on, and I'd go to see them regularly. They were doing ok, but clearly getting a little frustrated from time to time - and with each other sometimes. They really needed to be in a new home very soon.

Then the recent cat flu virus hit. Despite my shock and sadness, there was a glimmer of happiness in that (so far) Sidney and Edward had survived. They'd very likely been immunised and had all their boosters, and perhaps being together took away some of the stress that other cats on their own might feel. All this may have protected them, but we didn't really know for certain. And it also wasn't certain they'd continue to survive.

In the days between then and New Year I didn't visit - as there were very few cats to visit and I was very busy with my own clients. I didn't dare to contact them to see whether Sidney and Edward were still with us - if not I couldn't bear to hear of it. I also didn't try to contact them intuitively, as I was afraid what I might pick up. I kept remembering what their previous human carer had said "I really couldn't bear to think of them ending their days there." I felt I'd have let her down.

I needn't have worried. On New Years Day I had a call from Jo at the sanctuary. A lady in Warrington had adopted the boys the day before!!! I couldn't stop crying with the joy of it. Normally they don't adopt animals over the Christmas and New Year period - for obvious reasons. But given recent circumstances, and this lovely lady was prepared to take the both of them, they relaxed their rules.

She'd recently moved to the area and also lost a beloved cat. She knew he couldn't be replaced, but wanted another cat. When she heard about Sidney and Edward's story her heart melted and she offered to take them both. So Sidney and Edward went off to live with this lovely lady and her little Westie in Warrington, and I wish them all a happy life together.

Another small silver lining from the awful cat flu situation....... and good to see how sad times can turn in to happier times.

No comments:

Post a Comment