Friday 4 June 2010

Adopting from Rescues or Buying?


On Linked In, I'm a member of a group that is related to those who work with animals, and there are various discussions that go on on line.

A recent discussion was one that is close to my heart. Someone raised the question about why so many people are reluctant to take on a rescue animal, as opposed to buying from from a breeder. The writer was from the US, so she was quoting recent data she'd come across (didn't cite the source though) that less than 20% of animals in homes are from rescue centres.

I've been trying to find data on UK rescue ownership, but finding it difficult - however, when I do, I'll update you. But I was surprised the figure was so low, as so many people I know, whether they're customers, friends, neighbours, family, etc do have animals that were once resident at rescue centres. And people seem to be really happy to let people know that their animal came from a rescue centre.

As with any discussion, it did get off track a bit, what with people flying the flag for their own issues. However, even if the figures are different for the UK, I'm still interested to know why people, if they're making a conscious choice, prefer to go to rescue centres to find their animal companions. And if they've decided not to, then why not?

Please join in with your own thoughts, ideas, opinions and experiences.

2 comments:

  1. I think that some people tend to buy from shops, small animal speaking, because they just don't know about rescues with small animals. But with Cats and Dogs, I think it's more a matter of people wanting ot know the parents, and finding more trust in know it's history :) I'm all for adoption though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Claire for joining in. Haven't yet been able to unearth any reliable adoption stats for the UK, but really keen to hear people's views on this.

    ReplyDelete