Wednesday 9 June 2010

On the subject of cat litter again....


I know, I've written about cat litter a couple of times before, firstly about how I really do detest that awful fullers earth clumping stuff, then about the habit they all seem to have of needing to christen a fresh new litter tray straight away.

But this is different. And a bit of a plea..........

All the cat experts will tell you that cats like to be fastidious and clean, and that their litter trays should be kept spotless at all times. Well, I'd echo that. I get to see a lot of litter trays, so I know what I'm talking about.

In my experience, for indoor cats, I'd say that many people need to completely refresh the litter more frequently than they think. And whenever you do a complete change, always properly clean and disinfect the litter tray. It's much better to err on the side of cleanliness.

It's also recommended that there should be one litter tray per cat in the household, plus one extra. Again, unless the cats are mostly outdoor cats and only use the litter tray infrequently, I'd agree with this. If you do have them sharing a litter tray, then it will definitely need a complete change every day.

This might sound a little over the top, but really, if you want happy cats, and a happy house this is the only way to be. And please stay away from Fullers' Earth litter!!

No comments:

Post a Comment